PROSTHETIC REHABILITATION PROGRAM
SUPPORT FOR PATIENTS EXPERIENCING LIMB LOSS
Approximately 185,000 amputations occur in the U.S. each year. This equates to 300-500 amputations a day.
• Of these individuals, 94.8% utilize a prosthesis to support active participation in daily activities.
• Nearly half of the individuals who have an amputation due to vascular disease will die within 5 years. This is higher than the five-year mortality rates for breast cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer.
• Of persons with diabetes who have a lower extremity amputation, up to 55% will require amputation of the second leg within 2-3 years.
Occupational therapists (OTs) play a vital role within the prosthetic rehabilitation process to support the use of the new device, community reintegration, and overall psychological well-being. Studies have shown that patient success within these areas is strongly correlated to the frequency and duration of therapy sessions.
Prosthetic Rehabilitation Services We Provide:
• Direct collaboration with a prosthetist
• Functional Outcome Measures
• Edema Management
• Residual Limb Shaping
• Pain Management
• Wound Care
• Controls Training
• Focus on optimal use of the prosthesis
• Learn how to manage prosthesis
• Carry out functional activities of everyday life using the prosthesis to their advantage. Assist the user with knowing when to use the device as a primary or secondary source.
Why Prosthetic Rehabilitation Is Beneficial
• Direct collaboration with prosthetists to facilitate improved functional outcomes for patients.
• Administer functional outcome measures to assist with proving the medical necessity for device selection.
• Target strengthening and development of surrounding musculature in preparation for a prosthetic device.
• Complete prosthetic training and activity modification to increase wear and use.
• Improve functional movement patterns and reduce cumulative traumas to prevent future injuries.
For more information about our Prosthetic Rehabilitation Program, please contact, Ali Lannom OTD, OTR/L CEES, CLIPP at email@example.com.